Do you need to make a senior exec hire?
The more senior the role, the greater the impact of the hire on overall business performance.
- Hire right, and your business may see a positive impact of 20%
- Get it wrong, and it may cost you, you may see a negative impact of 20%
- Research suggests at the most senior levels the impact of an exec may vary by 40%
There exists a ripple effect.
What he or she does has positive or negative implications across the business – top down.
There’s a difference between hiring at the most senior levels to other ones – stakes are higher and a more thorough approach with greater expertise is required.
If you’d like to know more about the differences between making senior hires and more regular ones, click here to access our FREE white paper:
Focused on successful outcomes
If you are looking to hire people into leadership roles you will no doubt be concerned about the implications of getting it wrong.
You will want to make the best hires possible, people who can shape and drive your business to make it the best it can be.
If you want to be confident about interviewing best in category professionals and to avoid hiring mistakes, you will want to be assured of a thorough and structured approach.
Our seven stage executive search process is designed to bring your the highest level of service and exceptional hiring outcomes.
1 Candidate generation
Project definition and scope
The quality of hire is dependent on the quality of the briefing from the outset
Developing a comprehensive understanding of your business, future organisational strategy & mission, the role, your ideal candidate and cultural issues
Identifying challenges for the search, the timetable, and why the ideal candidate should join
Determining expectations, process and timescales
2 Search strategy
Developing a compelling executive position profile, including outlining role, remit and candidate specification.
Identifying potential target industry sectors and companies, and source. Excluding any off-limit candidates or companies.
Defining and documenting a roadmap of our search strategy, including target sectors and companies. Documented in a roadmap acting as a point of reference to ensure speed and quality in the search.
Intelligence gathering. Identifying candidate sources, name generation, cross-referencing, taking up soundings, talent mapping.
Soundings will begin early for extremely confidential searches.
The most important part of this process is, where appropriate, persuading candidates who are heads down and happy to become interested in the role.
We assess candidates through both telephone and in person interviewing. We use a competency based approach to determine the extent to which candidates possess the specific skills required, and that candidates’ motivations align well with the opportunity.
Submission of confidential candidate reports together with candidates’ original CVs to the client for review.
Our mantra is to have a broad set of prospects within 2 weeks, and three qualified prospects within 3 weeks. Overseas/pan EMEA + 1 week.
5 Client selection
Arranging interviews and ensuring both parties are properly briefed.
Providing feedback to both clients and candidates.
Maintaining regular contact with both parties to ensure any issues or red flags are addressed promptly.
Finally assisting with the integration of the successful candidate into the new role according to the client’s wishes.
Continuing to maintain close ties to ensure the success of the new executive.
Click here to listen to our tips to help your new starters in their first 100 days.
Or click here to read them.
Why choose to work with us?
Are you looking to hire into senior roles which impact your business success or failure? If you want to get it right we can help you.
Our credentials include:
Experience head-hunting into role types of:
- Managing Director/General Manager/CEO
- Sales Director/VP Sales
- Chief Operating Officer/COO
- Marketing Director
- Head of Customer Services
- Senior Sales Management
Proven experience in your sector with similar client types:
Over 10+ years we’ve met demanding hiring requirements at companies including :
- Eden Ventures
- Root Capital
- software ag
- Xactly Corp
- First hire. Set-up and build out of EMEA business at a SaaS vendor growth of revenues from near zero to multi-million annual recurring revenue. Our headhunted GM candidate made this happen, and grew this business from a blank piece of paper to 30+ employees.
- New leadership team. Turnaround of Risk Management vendor from loss and reducing revenue stream, to doubling in size and return to profit brought about by one of our GM candidates. Re-branding, re-location, considerable re-staffing, transformation of systems, platforms – a fantastic business re-build headed up by a management team recruited by us: MD, Sales Director, COO and Marketing Director.
- AVP Sales. From also ran to #1 vendor in category. One of our Sales AVP hires took over an embryonic promising business, and within two years grew revenue from $3M to $30M.
- Country Manager. From the lowest to the top performing country. One of our introduced candidates can be attributed with bringing about a turnaround of a failing business with falling revenues, a de-moralised team and what they called “their problem child”. Our candidate transformed the business, re-energising and re-directing much of the existing team, re-tuned process, re-focused KPIs. And turned UK business (c. 250 people) into the top performing country.
- Strategy Director. The remit was to re-align the company’s offering and take what was a “me too” capability into one which was best in class. Requiring intellectual firepower, insight and vision – they sought someone with high profile credentials* to oversee a transformation. We headhunted the candidate out of Accenture*, the individual tackled the task with flying colours resulting in his promotion to CEO and him overseeing the extremely successful sale of the company – as per the objective of the investors.
Some clients have used us on a retained basis to headhunt candidates into key selling opportunities. Two example outcomes being:
- For a big name CRM SaaS vendor, one of the people we headhunted into the company landed a net new – strategic target account and grew revenues from zero to $30M per annum
- At a different SaaS vendor, one of the people we headhunted into the company landed a net new name client account deal value considerably in excess of £100M
Call me to discuss your needs or fix a time to meet.
Robert Tearle, Managing Director
Robert Tearle Consulting, Warnford Court, 29 Throgmorton Street, London EC2N 2AT
International Tel: + 44 207 947 4142 | Tel: 0207 947 4142
Robert Tearle Consulting is the trading style of Arena Search & Selection Limited, a limited company incorporated in England under number 4041116, registered office: The Old Bakehouse, Course Rd, Ascot SL5 7HL