It can be lonely at the top.
There's no pleasing everyone.
And often for the most senior, they are working with a set of conditions which they did not chose.
There are few people you can trust, there's always somoone who will stab you in the back and your every move is being watched.
The more senior you are, the more lonely it can be. And the more complex the decisions.
The issues which Theresa May faces are not disimilar to those faced by senior business leaders.
Your decisions will have bigger implications, you can’t please everyone! And you cannot open-up to everyone. The more senior you are, the more complex your decision making is likely to be – with ramifications across your team.
When time are positive and fast paced, stress, energy and complexity can have a negative impact on decisions.
Likewise, when time are tough. And pressure at work, doesn’t just come from the workplace – often you will face crisis in your home life – you need to leave personal issues at the office door and remaining professionally focused.
If you are a senior leader - have you considered using an executive coach?
Coaches can help empower your performance to operate at your best. Developing and managing your style – is your approach to leadership and management “nice” or “nasty”
Importantly they can be your thinking partner in respect of handling conflict, difficult relationships and conversations. And importantly, help you to think outside of the box – what are the issues and options which you may have overlooked?
So, what is executive coaching?
Executive Coaching assists an executive to achieve their optimum performance, pinpointing how they can best approach the challenges they face.
Executive coaches are often used as a “thinking partner” when facing critical business decisions and dealing with complex issues.
It’s about helping people achieve better clarity around their goals and priorities. It also assists them to better understand how people they manage or work with.
How could you benefit?
- The more senior you are, the more complex your decision making is likely to be – with bigger implications
- Stress, energy and complexity can have a negative impact on decisions
- Coaches can help empower your performance to operate at your best
- The nature of the engagement with the coach is often phone based, with regular sessions depending on the individual’s needs.
- Develop your leadership skills
- Develop your personal brand and executive presence
How much can you expect it to cost?
- Around $150 (£100) to $300 (£200) per hour
- Typically someone would sign up for several sessions perhaps 6-10
- Often the starting point would be a one off taster session
- Many execs chose to use coaching on an on-going basis
If you’d like to find a coach, you can find one here: